Tag Archives: Cybersecurity

The Department Of Homeland Security Proposes New Rules Affecting Federal Government Contractors

This week, the Department of Homeland Security (“DHS”) issued three proposed rules expanding data security and privacy requirements for contractors and subcontractors. The proposed rules build upon other recent efforts by various federal agencies to strengthen safeguarding requirements for sensitive government information.  Given the increasing emphasis on data security and privacy, contractors and subcontractors are …

Read more »

Cyber-Attacks: A Problem In 2016, Still A Problem in 2017

A survey of nearly 600 organisations across a variety of industries globally has revealed 98% of these organisations experienced some form of cyber-attack in 2016. (We are left wondering if the other 2% just didn’t notice?) The survey, conducted by cyber-security company Radware, also found that many organisations are still not prepared to face the …

Read more »

Swiss-US Privacy Shield Will Replace Swiss-US Data Protection Safe Harbor

On January 11, 2017, the Swiss Federal Council announced that a new framework will govern the transfer of personal data from Switzerland to the US.  According to the Federal Council, the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework “will apply the same conditions as the European Union.”  The International Trade Administration stated that the US Department of Commerce …

Read more »

2016 Cybersecurity Year in Review, and Data Privacy Trends to Watch in 2017

With 2016 in the rear-view mirror, we have been reflecting on the many data privacy and cybersecurity legal developments of the past year, both in the U.S. and internationally, as well as focusing on trends to watch in the new year. With best wishes for a Happy New Year from all of us, we present a …

Read more »

House Energy and Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Security of Internet of Things

The growing scale of cybersecurity concerns is prompting action from government leadership on the federal level. Before the Thanksgiving recess, the House’s Committee on Energy and Commerce got in on the act when two of its subcommittees–the Communications and Technology Subcommittee, chaired by Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR), and the Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade Subcommittee, chaired by …

Read more »

Insurance Coverage Issues for Cyber-Physical Risks

The recent National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)publication of cybersecurity guidance for the Internet of Things (IoT) is a useful reminder that hacking incidents can result not only in privacy breaches, but also in bodily injury or property damage — via critical infrastructure, medical devices and hospital equipment, networked home appliances, or even children’s …

Read more »

Cybersecurity Due Diligence Is Crucial in All M&A—Including Energy M&A Transactions

Can a single data breach kill or sideline a deal? Perhaps so. Last month Verizon signaled that Yahoo!’s disclosure of a 2014 cyberattack might be a “material” change to its July $4.83 billion takeover bid—which could lead Verizon to renegotiate or even drop the deal entirely. Concern over cybersecurity issues is not unique to technology …

Read more »

President Donald J. Trump – What Lies Ahead for Privacy, Cybersecurity, e-Communication?

Following a brutal campaign – one laced with Wikileaks’ email dumps, confidential Clinton emails left unprotected, flurries of Twitter and other social media activity – it will be interesting to see how a Trump Administration will address the serious issues of privacy, cybersecurity and electronic communications, including in social media. Mr. Trump had not been …

Read more »

Legal Challenge to EU-US Privacy Shield Framework

As widely expected, the EU-US Privacy Shield is being challenged before the European courts. What is Privacy Shield? In October 2015, the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) ruledthat the European Commission’s decision on adequacy for the Safe Harbor scheme was invalid.  The European Union and the United States agreed a new framework …

Read more »

Cyber Security Awareness Needs To Last Beyond October

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has designed October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month. But as we leave October, remember that data security is an ongoing challenge that requires continued vigilance not just from information system hacking, but also from employee error and other threats. Setting up a comprehensive training and awareness program is …

Read more »